Subscribe by RSS RSS Icon
Follow me on Twitter Twitter Icon

Billy Mays.. we will miss you!




Possibly the greatest pitchman in the last 20 years, We lost Billy Mays this weekend also. Lately he really became a local hero in the Tampa Bay area. Billy knew how to sell, and myself being in the advertising industry, he was a real hero of mine. I have always been facinated by the business side of informercials and these as seen on tv type products, and Billy was the master of selling these. He had the intensity, the signature catch phrases, and the hand motions that could sell anything. Many people may have seen him only as the bearded guy in the blue shirt that yelled alot, but those of us who know advertising knew that Billy was a master of promoting his image and was very respected.

Once his show with Anthony Sullivan came on, Pitchmen, I was hooked. I watched every episode of Pitchmen and countless of his 2 minute shows over the years. The show’s best premise was not only Billy and Sully, but showing the stories of the inventors themselves. You got to see how these products came to air, and the behind the scenes struggles it took to shoot 2 minutes worth of commerical. Great for us industry guys. After hearing that it was coming back for a second season, I was very excited, unfortunatly we lost Billy and those future antics between Sully and Little Billy have been silenced.

Billy left behind a legacy both with his commercials but also his family. Seeing the past few episodes of Pitchmen we really got to his family, his son Billy Mays III and his 3 yo Daughter Elizabeth. I loved watching the interaction with his son “Little Billy”. I got into the direct marketing business right around his age and I really related to him a lot. I wish the best for his kids and condolences go out to the entire family and his business partner Anthony Sullivan.

Although Billy hit his head in an airline accident, the autopsy results (according to Little Billy’s twitter) are now showing signs of heart disease. I have the early signs of heart disease and have been ignoring it like an idiot. This news has really got me second guessing that. Especially knowing Billy left behind a young daughter around the same age as my two boys, this has me wanting to reschedule that doctors appointment. Wow, Billy Mays might of just saved my life!

Thank You Billy Mays you have brought entertainment and inspiration to both myself and millions around the world.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright Info.

It's That Dude - GasparMedia. Link

XHTML/CSS validations
Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional Valid CSS!